Vocalist.org archive

From:  gwyee@r...
Date:  Mon Dec 9, 2002  11:41 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Too many low notes?

GWendel:
>>... He had me sing a low note passage of some aria "...and try to sound as
>>baritonal as you can possibly manage..." Afterwards, he said "Good, now
>>don't ever sing that way again!" Reminds me of some of your methods, John.

John:
>Yup, except that I probably wouldn't tell someone to never sing that
>way again. (Or maybe I would.) Maybe sometime, in some situation, it
>would be appropriate to sing that way. I would hope that my student,
>after trying to sound as baritonial as possible, would be clearer
>about his options and make an intelligent choice.

Actually, you should have seen it (or not). I was pressing every note; trying
to add as much
weight as I could to get as much baritonal "authority" into my voice as
possible. It was very
tiring.

>I hope that you'll try the experiment I suggested in my last post
>(singing a lot of low material on your own). I suspect that it would
>lead you to some interesting discoveries.

I really am able to sing in chest without difficulty and easily flow into my mix
as long as I
allow myself to sound like a tenor. My vibrato is not strident and the
resonance is there.
It's just soft; not very powerful. And when I get into church, that voice gets
buried.
Yesterday, I forced myself not to press. I had to cup my hand over my ear to
hear myself over
the bellowing, but it worked. I didn't have any trouble finding my mixed voice.
And once in
mix, I could let 'er rip, so to speak. I'm self conscious about covering an
ear, though.

GWendel, tenor

emusic.com