Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Dale Gillespie" <bigtenordale@a...>
Date:  Mon Dec 9, 2002  8:05 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Fog Machines?

On Sun, 08 Dec 2002 01:22:59
Alexandra Zavilowicz wrote:

>> michele,
>>
>> a year or two ago, we had a lengthy discussion on the
>> subject. i
>> find myself on the 'grow up and sing' side of things. whether
>> something
>> legitimately affects singer or not, is hard to judge. it is my
>> impression
>> that singers, especially opera singers, are some of the most
>> superstitious
>> people who ever walked the face of the earth. i am under the
>> impression
>> that the whiners will always be complaining about the fog machines
>> long
>> before they ever encounter one then, go to a smoke filled bar to have
>> a drink
>> to calm their nerves.
>>
>> mike
I have not contributed to this discussion in a very long time but I had to say
something..

I take exception to what Mike said about fog machines and opera singers. I have
had occassion a couple of times to sing with a fog machine. They are alot better
now than they used to be and they still bother me. They are now perfummy and
chalky smelling and it is unpleasant. But I think Mike should have to sing with
an old fashioned petrolium based fog machine like the one that I had to sing
with in the Edmonton Opera production of Attilla in the 1980s. It was like being
behind a roofing truck with the tar machine hot and running and smoking.

Pal, try it before you make judgements about other people. It is still smoke no
matter what you call it, and smoke is bad for the lungs and throat.
Alexandra, I applaude your comments, Bravo. We are all suseptable to one thing
or another that may or may not compromise ones health. To make a generalization
and catagorize one section of the public as being one way or another is wrong
and prejudiced.

Thats my 2 cents worth, and so be it.

Keep up the good work Vocalist.

---