Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@n...>
Date:  Mon Dec 9, 2002  3:41 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Too many low notes?

>John,
>
>Now that I think about it, I remember one lesson with my teacher some years
>ago. He had me sing a low note passage of some aria "...and try to sound as
>baritonal as you can possibly manage..." Afterwards, he said "Good, now
>don't ever sing that way again!" Reminds me of some of your methods, John.

Yup, except that I probably wouldn't tell someone to never sing that
way again. (Or maybe I would.) Maybe sometime, in some situation, it
would be appropriate to sing that way. I would hope that my student,
after trying to sound as baritonial as possible, would be clearer
about his options and make an intelligent choice.

I hope that you'll try the experiment I suggested in my last post
(singing a lot of low material on your own). I suspect that it would
lead you to some interesting discoveries.

John Link

http://www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink
Check out my CDs:
http://www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink2 (John Link Sextet)