Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dré de Man <dredeman@w...>
Date:  Sun Dec 8, 2002  5:15 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Too many low notes?2

Dear GWendel and co vocalisters,

I had more or less the same problem some time ago. Now I don’t have it
anymore. In my feeling (but mind you, I am not a teacher, just another
tenor) I think you have to get to the point where you have complete
control over your head voice and mix. From what you say, I get the
feeling you found a way to sing in a light mix all the time, and have
difficulties getting back to it, once you went to full chest. If you
have full control over your mix, it should be easy to go back from full
chest to whatever mix you prefer. And of course it is a mix you need to
sing an e3 e.g. in a non-fatiguing way.

Secondly: we associate singing in full chest and lower male notes in
general with a lot of power. I admit, it sounds like that, but at least
in my case it is exactly when I don’t do much (nothing more than for
lower middle notes) that my lowest notes come out very easy.

I have to add to that, that I have quite a long voice, so in my case we
are talking about notes like f and even e below middle c. (My upper
range is the same as yours, with an upper passagio point at g4, meaning:
g4# being the first full head voice note;) So I still can make a forte
with my middle c (c3), but from approx. a2. adding support does not
work, although the tone stays quite strong until at d2 stroh bass
register starts. The volume below a2 has to come in from being
completely relaxed in the first place. (In a way this is true for higher
notes as well, but there you need more support.)

Now it is possible that it your voice is very light, and that there is
not much volume down there. Well, than this is just it: you cannot sing
louder than your voice lets you, at least not without damaging your
voice. Singing in a choir is fine, but it should never make you try to
sing louder than your voice allows.

Best greetings,

Dré

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21429 Re: Too many low notes?2Anthony Howden antnee1027 Wed  12/11/2002

emusic.com