Vocalist.org archive

From:  "John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
Date:  Sat Dec 7, 2002  6:54 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Fog Machines health effects

This question has come up before. I do not have personal experience
with people complaining of irritation from fog machines, but I do have
experience with people's reactions to the substances used in fog
machines and can extrapolate what I know about how the machines work.

Fog machine fog is mostly water with a little propylene glycol and other
glycols, probably ethylene glycol. Glycols are used in medicine as
absorbers of water. In oral medications they help to keep things fluid.
They are also used in nasal sprays sometimes to dry out mucus membranes.
They also lower freezing temperature of water so are used as antifreeze.
Ethylene and propylene glycol are sweet tasting but poisonous taken
internally in LARGE amounts. They have led to poisonings of children
and pets who find the containers or spilled liquids. One glycol,
polyethylene glycol (PEG), is used to clean out the intestines prior to
GI studies such as colonoscopy. PEG is not absorbed.

In fake fog, the glycol/water combination is heated under pressure and
pushed out through a tiny nozzle. Under these circumstances, the
solution condenses as a mist or fog.

Most people are not bothered by the mist, but there are exceptions.
People can be sensitive to glycols. I have treated people who use over
the counter creams in which glycols have been incorporated to maintain a
smooth consistency. They come to me for a complaint of itch and have
been using various anti-itch creams which have propylene glycol in them
which just makes the itch worse for those who are sensitive. I would
expect these same people would be irritated in their airways by mists of
propylene glycol also. Discontinuing exposure usually resolves the
problem.

(NB: some makeup has propylene glycol in it also - check the label if
you tend to be chemically sensitive.)

The other potential problem with fog machines is contamination. Just as
humidifiers can get mold and mildew, so can foggers. That may be why
someone complained of black stuff being coughed up. Like any machine of
this type, they must be cleaned according to the manufacturer's
recommendations.

An allergist can help you determine if you are sensitive to glycols. If
you get irritated using Monistat (for yeast infections) you may be
sensitive. My personal opinion is foggers should be avoided anywhere
there are singers unless every singer has been determined not to
sensitive to the glycols. But then, I doubt my opinion will have any
influence. :-)

John

John Messmer, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Family and Community Medicine
Penn State Hershey Medical Center

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21332 Rod Stewart's CrossoverJohn Link johnlink010254 Sat  12/7/2002
21334 Re: Rod Stewart's CrossoverChristine Thomas mezzoid Sat  12/7/2002
21360 Re: Fog Machines health effectsAlexandra Zavilowicz zavilowicz Mon  12/9/2002

emusic.com