Vocalist.org archive

From:  leskayc@a...
Date:  Thu Dec 5, 2002  6:34 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] does milk affect your vocal chords

In a message dated 12/5/02 10:54:17 AM Central Standard Time,
mikado3848@j... writes:

> So my question is this: Isn't it true that allergic reactions to
> various substances (including milk) can effect the cords, including the
> production of excess mucus? Perhaps my finding answers to this point
> will make it possible for me to solve this problem. Any comments,
> anyone?

I have often heard that milk can cause increased mucus production in the
throat--whether one has to be allergic to the milk for this to occur I do not
know. BUT--mucus is a necessity in our vocal tracts. It is the lubricant
that keeps things running smoothly. The problem is when it is too thick.
Ideally it should be thin, clear, and slippery. Not drinking enough water
can thicken mucus, as can allergies. Most people don't realize how much
water we should really drink. My docs here say take your weight, divide in
by half and drink that many ounces of water in 24 hours. If this doesn't
help your mucus problem, there is a drug called guiafenesin, the active
ingredient in Robitussin, that is pretty good as a mucus-thinner. The pill
version is called HUMIBID and comes in a generic form. It is very
inexpensive. There is also an amino acid called N-ACETYL CYSTEINE or NAC for
short that you can buy in health food places that works as a mucus thinner
also. It is supposed to be an immune system booster also.

Frankly I think the water is the main thing. My whole body works better
since I began taking water seriously, but I spend an inordinate amount of
time in the bathroom.......

Some of my best memories involve the Presbyterian church--glad to have you!

Leslie (Methodist now, long story....)

emusic.com