Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Thu Dec 5, 2002  4:45 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Consonants and breath flow

In a message dated 12/4/2002 9:44:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
bandb@n... writes:

> To make my point even more clear, I hope,
> very little air is needed to maintain a phrase to such an extent
> that with efficient support, one never ' runs out of air' before the
> phrase is complete, so there is no expectation of a rising larynx.

REG,

IN FACT, LESS AIR IS NEEDED FOR A SUNG PHRASE THAN IS NEEDED FOR A
SPOKEN PHRASE OF SIMILAR LENGTH (TIME WISE). I AM TALKING ABOUT AN
EXPERIMENT WHERE ONE EXHAUSTS ONE'S AIR SUPPLY TO SEE IF THE LARYNX RISES AT
THE END OF THE BREATH. IT DOESN'T, THUS PROVING AGAINST THE NOTION THAT IT
IS THE LUNG FULL OF AIR THAT KEEPS THE LARYNX LOW.

mike

emusic.com