Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Sharon Szymanski" <szy@n...>
Date:  Thu Dec 5, 2002  5:16 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] SOME EXERCISES PLEASE!HELP!

What's the problem?Is it so hard for you to help?
Believe me, if i could, iwould heve found a teacher.

Yes, honestly, it is VERY hard to help someone whom you have never heard
utter a note! The fact that we feel it's inappropriate to just guess at
your needs and apply an all-purpose set of exercises just means that we
truly care about you and your voice, and that we are trying to act in a
professional and helpful manner.

If you honestly cannot find a good teacher near you, you may want to
look for someone who is farther away but whom you could visit every
other week or on another limited schedule. I also know that there used
to be someone on the list who specialized in long-distance training
(think he was in Australia) using computers and video equipment to
enable him to "hear" and "see" students who were far away. I also had a
college teacher once who did "phone lessons" with a teacher in NYC,
though I would question how well one could hear the more subtle things
in a voice on phone equipment. This might be an option if all else
fails!!!

So, here's another answer you probably won't like, but, hey - we can't
ALL be wrong, can we??? (smiling).

Sharon Szymanski
The Szymanski Studio -"encouraging excellence in the vocal arts"

emusic.com