Vocalist.org archive

From:  "David Grogan" <dgrogan@e...>
Date:  Wed Dec 4, 2002  1:17 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Consonants and breath flow

Randy said...

No, it begins with the folds. They approximate before the breath is
released
... it's called prephonatory tuning and it should take place intrinsically
within the larynx without outside interference. In changing dynamics the
amount of fold or resistance is changed which then affects airflow rate.
The
change in support is a byproduct (symptom) of laryngeal adjustments.

David says...

I have read this same sort of thing before in many sources, and my personal
experience agrees. However, I think that breath can have an effect on
laryngeal position and muscle tension as well. For the singer who gets very
little adduction of the cords, taking in a larger amount of air can often
get the cords to approximate better, as a natural resistance to the pressure
built up in the lungs. For singers who adduct too much, taking in less air
can reduce their need to hold back that air.

I think that there are at least two roads to most of the goals we have for
our students. And though there may be an answer to whether the chicken or
the egg came first, the chief concern is whether the egg or the chicken
helps that particular student.

Thanks for the conversation,
David Grogan
Longview, Texas