Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Wed Dec 4, 2002  5:41 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Consonants and breath flow

In a message dated 12/3/2002 10:21:59 PM Central Standard Time,
bandb@n... writes:

> I hope I'm incorrectly interpreting your words to mean
> that you suggest that one should actively drag the folds
> low. Not me mate!
>
> Do you mean to imply that there is something to be fixed
> in the upper throat before moderate control of the rate of
> air flow can be addressed?
>
> This is not my experience. I'm talking about moderation
> of the rate of air flow directly related to the artistic
> nuance of the performer, the aim being to sing a
> steady pianissimo while retaining the ability to
> crescendo and diminuendo and still retain control with
> good quality tone.

No, it begins with the folds. They approximate before the breath is released
... it's called prephonatory tuning and it should take place intrinsically
within the larynx without outside interference. In changing dynamics the
amount of fold or resistance is changed which then affects airflow rate. The
change in support is a byproduct (symptom) of laryngeal adjustments.

Drag the folds low? I meant lower laryngeal position which seems to directly
correspond to better adduction. It's in my NATS JOS article.

Randy Buescher
www.speechlevelvoice.com

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21237 Re: Consonants and breath flowDavid Grogan   Wed  12/4/2002
21404 Re: Consonants and breath flowAnthony Howden antnee1027 Tue  12/10/2002

emusic.com