Vocalist.org archive

From:  James <bandb@n...>
Date:  Mon Dec 2, 2002  10:12 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Consonants and breath flow

>> I am experimenting with the belt to relieve the tension I feel in my
>> jaw, particularly on the higher pitches (A natural and higher).
>
>Bob,
>
>You're not strangling on the top notes as much because you're getting more
>strangled in other parts of your body! Perspective is everything.
>
>Best of luck, I guess this gives new meaning to "belt technique"
>Mary Beth Felker

I agree Mary, image and perspective is important, if NOT everything.
There is no strangling in the support process at all, in fact exactly
the opposite. The "belt," quite separate from that one you support,
<pun intended> makes what has always been called "diaphragmatic
support", a recognizable concept, rather than just something for
Randy to snipe at. The same support removes any tendency to
use strangulation as a method of tonal production. The pressure
on the cummerbund, (Hindi name) is outward, not inward, as you
seem to envisage.
Regards Reg.

emusic.com