Vocalist.org archive

From:  "singer112001" <singer112001@y...>
Date:  Mon Dec 2, 2002  2:24 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Consonants and breath flow

Reg:

I've used the binder for a few days now and the results seem
encouraging. The binder I have is an elastic affair that one holds
around one's midsection with a large patch of velcro. There is a
thinner belt (non-elastic) that is attached to the sides which you
can engage an pull very tightly. With that belt engaged there is
very little yielding of the elastic binder when I breathe. I use it
that way, so I am getting a real squeezing in below my ribcage and
above my belly button. I can pull the belt tighter if I want more
support. There is also a piece of foam rubber in a pouch at the
rear of the elactic binder for back support.

The unyeilding aspect of the binder I bought sounds very much like
that which you wrote about with the cummerbund, does it not?

I am experimenting with the belt to relieve the tension I feel in my
jaw, particularly on the higher pitches (A natural and higher).
Within only a few days I can sing an aria like Un'aura amorosa with
far less anticipation of the two spots that I tense up at to the
point the the A natural is very pinched. In fact in vocalises I can
sing the A natural without any problem but in a song it sometimes
causes me to tense up and strangle it.

My wife came in the room yesterday while I was practicing and saw me
with this white elastic binder strapped tightly around my gut and the
cork in my mouth and couldn't restrain herself from laughter. I had
to admit (I practice in front of a mirror) that it is a funny view.

Thanks again for your inputs.

Best regards,

Bob.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21201 Re: Consonants and breath flowJames bandbau Mon  12/2/2002

emusic.com