Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Sun Dec 1, 2002  8:42 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Analyzing health of pop vs classical tech, was Amplification

In a message dated 12/1/2002 12:39:21 PM Central Standard Time,
april_salerno@y... writes:

> Sopran@a... may have misrepresented your
> because most voice patients are amateur classical
> singers does not indicate that most singers with vocal
> health problems are amateur classical singers.

The statistics regarding this are very unfortunate in that most people wait
over 2 years from beginning of the problem till when they visit the doctor,
regardless of the genre. Singers, regardless of style, are often in denial
about their problems and want to initially disregard the issue blaming it on
allergies, dairy, etc.

Interestingly, Ron Combs (a classical teacher at northeastern Illinois) did a
rather extensive survey on vocal problems and singers and was surprised by
the findings that genre played very little part in it. While what you say
seems to make sense, there is no way to really prove it ... it's based on
some supposition about who goes to the doctor and who doesn't. I don't know
how you really prove that.

Randy Buescher

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21197 Re: Analyzing health of pop vs classical tech, was AmplificationEdgewoodVoiceStudio edgewoodvoicestudio Mon  12/2/2002

emusic.com