Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dré de Man <dredeman@w...>
Date:  Sun Dec 1, 2002  2:36 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Sorry again but i feel despaired!I am begging forhelp!

Dear co vocalisters and direpurple (?!)

Mark wrote:

You will not learn to sing over the internet, so if you are having
problems, you had better make time for lessons.

Mark

On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, direpurple wrote:

> Oh,..also:i am male;singing range (B1-F4 WITH c4 AS THE MIDDLE C and
> singing E4,F4 with much difficulty));NEVER HAD LESSONS;NO TIME FOR
> LESSONS:

I experimented several times working with and without singing teachers,
and from my experience I can say that:

1. It is hardly or not at all possible to learn the basic
principles of singing (classical, but that’s the only thing that matters
i.m.o.) without a teacher.
2. You should, however, take care that your teacher is a good one
(search our archives on how to find out) and someone you can work with.
After all, learning to sing is a very personal and emotional thing, and
it will only work out well if the relationship between you and your
teacher does not make you more insecure. Insecure you’ll be, I can
assure you, at the moment you’ll be confronted with someone that listens
to your far from perfect singing professionally, and certainly when you
start to realise that this person hears that your singing is even
farther from perfection than you think…
3. If you have the feeling you don’t make progress anymore you
might have come to the point where you lose time, instead of gaining
time. At that point it can be better to work without a singing teacher
for some time, but then you need very good recording and monitoring
equipment and/or someone who is able to listen to you with a friendly
but honest ear. It could be easier to look for a different teacher in
such a situation.

Best greetings

Dré

emusic.com