Vocalist.org archive

From:  "singer112001" <singer112001@y...>
Date:  Sat Nov 30, 2002  3:55 pm
Subject:  Re: "jaw just won't drop" - the cork

Michelle:

Thank you for sharing some of the details that you went through when
you used a prop to keep your mouth open while singing. I confess
that I don't know what a bic biro barrel is but that's not important.

I too suffer from the drool and have to hold a tissue to keep things
dry. And like you I still have trouble pronouncing a clear ee with
the cork in my mouth. It wants to come out as an ih as in with. But
your comment about training the muscles at the back of the throat to
form the vowels is right on the mark. Likewise your comment about
all of a sudden realizing that your tongue is constantly pressed
gently against the bottom row of teeth is resonant with my experience.

When I take the cork out and work without it, or when I'm singing at
church, I can easily recall the sensation of the cork in my mouth and
open wide. I particularly sense the circular top and bottom of the
cork inside my mouth and often picture the vowels forming on either
the top or bottom as the need dictates. I tend to use the bottom of
the cork more than the top, particularly when the music ascends the
scale.

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Best regards,

Bob.