Vocalist.org archive

From:  James <bandb@n...>
Date:  Tue Nov 26, 2002  6:04 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Consonants and breath flow

Bob,
In my experience the overbreathing is clearly a problem
but there is most likely a deeper cause. Insecurity in your
technique. You subconsciously feel that more breath is
better and safer.
If your chest cage is established in the "noble position"
and your upper stomach muscles are supporting the tone,
you will most likely find greater security and give less
attention to the big breath.

If you have difficulty in ensuring the stability of this support
may I suggest you get one of those cummer-bund belts.
In private of course, fit this tightly around your upper tummy,
half way between the bottom of the chest cage and the
belly-button. If you do not support properly, this belt will
supply you the feeling of the difference between the two
conditions and supply a more steady tone.

When you use this, notice also that jaw tension
becomes less because it is no longer necessary
if the support is correct. I call this "sponsored relaxation."
The lower body does the work on behalf of the tense jaw.

Reg.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21166 Re: Consonants and breath flowsinger112001 singer112001 Thu  11/28/2002
21168 Re: Consonants and breath flowJames bandbau Thu  11/28/2002
21176 Re: Consonants and breath flowsinger112001 singer112001 Fri  11/29/2002
21196 Re: Consonants and breath flowJames bandbau Sun  12/1/2002
21199 Re: Consonants and breath flowsinger112001 singer112001 Mon  12/2/2002
21201 Re: Consonants and breath flowJames bandbau Mon  12/2/2002

emusic.com