Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dré de Man <dredeman@w...>
Date:  Mon Nov 25, 2002  10:37 pm
Subject:  Re: "jaw just won't drop - was: RE: [vocalist] Hi everyone!! New person here : )

Dear co-vocalisters,

I like this thread, and took the liberty of combining the two titles it
had gotten.

Many answers were really nice, like Peggy’s. Karen also gave quite a lot
of helpful hints, but something in her mail made me think it is not such
a good idea to do what she tells us: ‘If you look in the mirror, you'll
look a bit like an idiot’. Karen: what if that look stays with you? Is
there an undo function? And what if you look a bit like an idiot anyway,
do you have to look like a complete fool?

Back to the serious business of singing technically wrong, the only
thing I am an expert at: in my experience always when I had problems I
was not able to understand, like notes that were easy one day or moment,
and difficult the next, were related to jaw-tension. The problem with it
is also, that if you are not conscious of it, it will get worse and
worse, make you angry et cetera and so on. Fear of high notes is almost
sure to cause jaw-tension.

On the other hand: a relaxed jaw will create a fuller, bigger sound and
with the right chest/head mix, a beautiful mellow tone, if needed. Last
but not least: it is very well possible to sing with a slightly tensed
jaw all the time, without being aware of it. In such a case, it is also
hard to pinpoint the problem for teachers, at least for some of them.

Best greetings,

Dré

emusic.com