Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dean FH Macy <deanmacy@a...>
Date:  Mon Nov 25, 2002  6:36 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] The curse of teaching voice.....

Mary Beth wrote in part:

>... even when both are listening to a taped version of the sound, what one
would observe as a "good" sound, the other would observe as "awful."

Most of the children I have sessions with hated to hear their singing at
first. They would cringe and give me strange looks and say things like,
"I hate listening to myself sing and "It doesn't sound like me." To get
them over this hump I would have them critique the "singer" as if the
singer was another kid. That works and they eventually get used to
hearing themselves. Good critiques too.

>Not to mention that the terminology used successfully on one person, may be
meaningless to the next.

After eight years of college grad and post grad schooling I could talk
the talk and walk the walk. Then my first work was with the children in
CTW (Sesame Street). They didn't have a clue as to what I was talking
about. So now, after 45 years working with singing kids most of my
music terminology has flown away on silvered wings, out the window,
never to be seen again. It's only when reading the vocalist I remember
most of the meaning of the terminology. God help me if I ever have to
work with adults again. They'll think I'm talking down to them unless I
take a refresher on music-speak.

Great insight, Beth.

Dr Dean

HAPPY THANKSGIVING ALL!

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21124 Re: The curse of teaching voice.....John Link johnlink010254 Mon  11/25/2002

emusic.com