Vocalist.org archive

From:  leskayc@a...
Date:  Sun Nov 24, 2002  6:34 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Hi everyone!! New person here : )

In a message dated 11/23/02 4:54:25 PM Central Standard Time,
crazy4jet66@y... writes:

> I stumbled upon your list while searching for some voice help. I
> sing at church and am taking voice lessons from our musical director
> who has an awesome voice. My

Oh Lord. I have been exactly where you are. I also thought I was an
alto....when I really wasn't, but that is another story. You need to find a
voice TEACHER. I also had a choir director with an amazing voice who took me
"under her wing" and gave me lessons and I wound up having voice surgery.
Choir directors may be wonderful choir directors, but they are not always
competent voice teachers.

You need help getting rid of physical tension (the jaw)-and this is not
quickly done. Competent voice teachers can give you lots of tips, exercises,
vocalizes, etc.... to help you do this. BUT, bear in mind that it doesn't
happen overnight and often happens in "layers." You tend to get rid of
tension bit by bit, at least that has been my experience. And we all seem to
have to deal with it at one time or another!

You speak of being an alto, but you may really be a soprano. Most women are
sopranos of some sort. You probably need to "unlock" your head voice......

Where are you? Perhaps someone on the list knows of a teacher in your area.

Best Luck,
Leslie

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21108 Re: Hi everyone!! New person here : )Dawn crazy4jet66 Sun  11/24/2002
21113 Re: Hi everyone!! New person here : )John Link johnlink010254 Mon  11/25/2002

emusic.com