Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <rossicaio@h...>
Date:  Sat Nov 23, 2002  2:15 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] vocalist.org !!!

Mike:.for example, the archives of the old
vocalist were much clumsier to use than yahoo or, the there was no
advertising on the old vocalist, etc., etc., etc.<

Vocalist.org archive search engine was much better than YahooGroups'. I
believe ads are a fair price to pay if you don't want to pay cash. BTW,
there must be something wrong (or right?) with my computer as I don't get
the ads people complain so much about. Could it be Yahoo knows I haven't got
a dime?!

I myself think that, although the new Vocalist.org is one of the most
informative sites I've found (along with the co-member's Le Chanteur), as
far as singing in concerned, WE'VE GOT NOTHING TO DO WITH IT ANYMORE. It's
not owned by Marko or supported by Oulu University. People legally allowed
to bear your parents' names aren't your parents.

Now, as to moving away from Yahoo, I just don't see why. This is an
independent initiative of our moderators, who have always been respectful,
unbiased, etc. Joining an institution will mean taking pointless risks. If
that status guaranteed anything, we wouldn't have lost the original list in
the first place. And more: some people believe that would attract
better-qualified people. But if an institution believes we're worth hosting,
why don't they just offer a link to our list? And wouldn't that link be
enough to attract those better-qualified people? If they refuse to refer
people to our list while we don't join them it's because they don't think
we're good enough (so what would we be doing there?), or they think we're
too good (so, again, what would we be doing there?) or because they want to
have some kind of control over our content (which is the risk I'd rather not
take).

Hugs,

Caio

emusic.com