Vocalist.org archive

From:  kriswrite@a...
Date:  Fri Nov 22, 2002  5:48 pm
Subject:  Singer with heavy, dark, flat head voice

Hi everyone~

I just heard a young singer the other day, and was contemplating what her
vocal difficulties may be.

She has a wonderful chest voice; it is clear and mostly precise. She can use
it softly or project it across a theatre. But her head voice! It is extremely
breathy, and even when she manages to make it less breathy, it is flat (both
in tone and quality), very dark, heavy and...well, ugly. She seems to bring
her head voice into the mask area, but somehow it still sounds like she is
drowning. She's had a very inept teacher for about 4 years, and has all kinds
of bad habits.

I've given her exercises for being less breathy...but perhaps you have
exercises that you'd particularly recommend? And I've also helped her with
that awful, dark, flat sound...but perhaps you have tips there, too. If
anyone has personal experience with a voice that sounds this way (their own
or someone else's), I'm most curious to hear about it.

Thanks!
Kristina

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21078 Re: Singer with heavy, dark, flat head voiceKaren Mercedes   Fri  11/22/2002
21192 Re: Singer with heavy, dark, flat head voicekriswrite@a... vintageconnection Sun  12/1/2002
21207 Re: Singer with heavy, dark, flat head voiceDomisosing@a...   Mon  12/2/2002
21209 Re: Singer with heavy, dark, flat head voiceJean Marie Henderson jeaniebean77 Mon  12/2/2002
21218 Re: Singer with heavy, dark, flat head voicekriswrite@a... vintageconnection Tue  12/3/2002
21220 Re: Singer with heavy, dark, flat head voiceAmanda Kelley mandasings Tue  12/3/2002
21403 Re: Singer with heavy, dark, flat head voiceAnthony Howden antnee1027 Tue  12/10/2002
21221 Re: Singer with heavy, dark, flat head voiceJean Marie Henderson jeaniebean77 Tue  12/3/2002

emusic.com