Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Wed Nov 20, 2002  4:11 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] amplification

In a message dated 11/19/2002 6:38:58 PM Eastern Standard Time,
peggyh@i... writes:

> I think what I mean is that all they sing is ornament, such that the actual
> tune can't be discerned. As an entertainment consumer, I have no problem
> with
> this. But a kid doesn't learn how to sing an actual melody by hearing only
> ornaments. It's like hearing only an over-embellished da capo of a baroque
> opera aria. Very enjoyable, but I only know what the tune is because the
> first time through it's sung without embellishment.

fortunately, peggy, i think this fad is on its way out.

btw, have you ever heard the english band oasis? my wife and i both
find them to be somewhat beatles-esgue. check out their song 'look back in
anger'. you might be relieved to hear them if i'm correct in understanding
your complaint.

mike

emusic.com