Vocalist.org archive

From:  "SlightlyoffBroadway" <jaxsobcon@n...>
Date:  Mon Nov 18, 2002  9:40 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Digest Number 1335

>>"These singers had only added an open chest voice
to their "legit" head voice. There was not a smooth transition from one to
the other, and they literally sounded as if they were singing with two
different voices, with all the accompanying pitch problems etc., that
ensued.
Those that had smoother transitions did it by singing at a lower volume, and
lacked voices that had any interesting depth or color. >>"

This is something that I'm always hearing from students of teachers who
believe that they should classically train their singers and then just get
them to add a "belty" chest voice and voila, they can do theatre and pop
singing. I don't think so!

It is possible, however, to be trained well enough to sing classical rep.
with the sound qualities necessary to do justice to that music and also to
switch to a "popsy" sound when performing something from say, "Rent". I've
heard it done and really admire those who can do it well.

Jacqueline

jaxsobcon@n...
www.slightlyoffbroadway.com

Read musical theatre articles at: