Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Christine Thomas" <Mezzoid@w...>
Date:  Mon Nov 18, 2002  1:23 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] High Schools- Voice

One of my students went to a performing arts HS and was a drama major. There
was no crossover between the drama and music depts and he never received ANY
music training - and he has a lovely bass-baritone voice that should've been
developed earlier. He started taking voice lessons privately from me his senior
year. I sent him off to a college audition last year and he felt very
underprepared - not in his literature, but just in his background. All of the
other kids auditioning had been studying since they were 13 or so.

I'm finding that most people entering college these days have had at least 2
years of voice lessons. The days of no voice lessons till college are over.

And there are many people who specialize in HS students (like, oh, ME!) who are
knowledgeable about vocal technique and literature. There are some college
teachers who aren't.

Christine Thomas,
Mezzo Soprano

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a!"