Vocalist.org archive

From:  Steve Fosdick <fozzy@p...>
Date:  Mon Nov 18, 2002  12:36 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: classical isn't the only way (was amplification)

What an interesting discussion this has turned out to be!

I often heard it said here on the list that unlike classically trained
singers, female pop singers use exclusively chest voice and I have also
heard a style of singing from some female pop singers where some of the
notes seem more growled than sung to my ear (e.g. Britney Spears).

What is not at all clear to me is whether you think the same holds true
of male pop singers, or whether, in general, they do use at least a
measure of head voice.

I'd also be interested on your thoughts as to whether classical vs. pop
is just a matter of style or whether there is a difference of technique
that particularly suites a voice to one or the other. Again I am
particularly interested in how this applies to male singers but any
discussion on that point will be interesting.

Steve.

emusic.com