Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Sun Nov 17, 2002  6:33 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: classical isn't the only way (was amplification)

In a message dated 11/16/2002 9:56:08 PM Central Standard Time,
csdonnell@m... writes:

> As for breath flow, Most of us on my faculty, and the teachers I've worked
> with, teach that we stay in the position of the inspiration. If we do
> that,
> and the abs and ribs move in very little, we don't waste air. They strive
> keep the air in the body and let out only voice. My students sing their
> best
> when they imagine they are almost holding their breath. My grad school
> teacher referred to the sensation as "drinking in the tone." This, in my
> experience, induces a good mix of chest throughout middle, and lower middle
> voice and eases the transition into and out of chest.

You're very fortunate you've received such good training. And what you state
above is very accurate. However, if the prephonatory tuning of the folds is
off, the breath management stated above won't matter a lick because that will
in turn dictate the amount of air needed to induce vibration.

You will eventually conclude that most voice teachers suck ... they don't
take things as seriously as we on this list do.

Randy Buescher

emusic.com