Vocalist.org archive

From:  "SlightlyoffBroadway" <jaxsobcon@n...>
Date:  Fri Nov 15, 2002  10:12 pm
Subject:  Re: classical isn't the only way (was amplification)

Hi:
I don't post a lot but do read in digest on a regular basis. I find this
group to be a unique mix of singers/musicians/teachers from many different
aspects of the "singing" world.

I must say that we should all agree to disagree on personal tastes. There
are people who like Kelly Clarkson's voice just as there are people who like
Cecelia Bartoly etc etc etc. Much of this is a matter of taste and
preference.

What made me respond is the way so many posts are indicating that one way is
better than another. This is NOT the case. There's a technique (or style
to use a better word) that permeates "pop" music just as there is a style
that permeates "opera". Not all classically trained singers are opera
singers. Not all pop singers do unhealthy singing.

As a musician and a teacher and a performer, I enjoy the vast varieties of
the many different techniques and styles. I don't like most country but
there are some singers that I do listen to because to say all country is bad
because I don't like most of it is just foolish. I LOVE musical theatre but
I don't like all Broadway songs. There are operas that bring me to tears
and others than make me want to get up and leave. I love oratorio but
Handel's Messiah doesn't contain my favorite sop. solos by any means.

I'm really glad I'm open to a lot of different musical styles. I would so
hate to miss out on some great stuff because I have a prejudice to that
which is not "classical".

Yes, there's a lot of crap out there. Rod Stewart's new CD is a great
example. Who wants to hear this drugged out smoky voice singing ballads
from the 40's? But, having said that, I imagine there are songs that suit
his voice and without having listened to the CD, I can't say for sure that
the whole thing would be bad. It's just my pre-conceived notion based on
hearing him sing.

I don't mean to cause a flame war or anything here, but I would like to see
a little more tolerance for music that isn't classical or techniques that
don't exemplify the tone, vibrato and placement of classical training. I
applaud those of you who do teach other methods or encourage your singers to
be trained in a style fitting their voice, whether or not it is a style you
particularly like. I've seen kids with great "pop voice" potential who are
taken to a teacher who teaches the style right out of them. Some do develop
nice, classically trained voices, but I've also seen others whose real
potential was taken away.

Feel free to disagree with me. That's what makes this listserve such a
great place. We all get to say what we think.

Happy Friday,
jacqueline
jaxsobcon@n...
www.slightlyoffbroadway.com

Read musical theatre articles at:
www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/musical_theatre

Looking for an online course?
http://www.suite101.com/suiteu/default.cfm/49843

Have fun at:
www.geocities.com/sloffbrdway

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
20909 Re: classical isn't the only way (was amplification)buzzcen@a... buzzcen2000 Fri  11/15/2002
20922 Re: classical isn't the only way (was amplification)Lloyd W. Hanson lwh1 Sat  11/16/2002
20925 Re: classical isn't the only way (was amplification)buzzcen@a... buzzcen2000 Sat  11/16/2002
20926 Re: classical isn't the only way (was amplification)buzzcen@a... buzzcen2000 Sat  11/16/2002
20927 Re: classical isn't the only way (was amplification)Dean FH Macy   Sat  11/16/2002
20930 Re: classical isn't the only way (was amplification)Domisosing@a...   Sat  11/16/2002
20931 Re: classical isn't the only way (was amplification)Domisosing@a...   Sat  11/16/2002
20935 Re: classical isn't the only way (was amplification)Cynthia Donnell   Sun  11/17/2002
20937 Re: classical isn't the only way (was amplification)Greypins@a... greypins Sun  11/17/2002

emusic.com