Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Fri Nov 15, 2002  8:39 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] amplification

In a message dated 11/15/2002 2:21:35 PM Central Standard Time,
leskayc@a... writes:

> do you mean that the pop singers use a high laryngeal position on purpose?
> Does this not cause vocal fatigue?

Comment: The poor ones do. The good ones do so with the larynx at a neutral
speech level (or even slightly lower position). They've just trained the
cords to stay closed longer and use different vowel modifications.

> I really have to go now because I have to be in Memphis is 4 hours and it is
>
> a 3 hour drive.
>
> BUT--I wonder--have you heard the group ROCKAPELLA and if so what do you
> think of them?

I know of them, haven't heard them.

> And the only singer you cited that I really recognize, besides Madonna, who
> like ok and I know studied classically, is Barbra Streisand. And I still
> find her higher notes painful to listen to, so maybe this is just a matter
> of
> preference. I don't like turnip greens either, and boy am I in a minority
> down here.....

Comment: Barbra Streisand never studied classically. I teach the young girl
who sang with her in the timeless concerts (Lauren Frost) and know of Bab's
background. She did study speech level singing for about a year with Seth
Riggs. Madonna also never studied classically, she studied with Riggs and
others who approach it similarly.

> BTW, not trying to be obnoxious here, really I am just curious--what kind
> of
> singer are you? And if you like the pop sound so much, what are you doing
> on
> this list, I mean, doesn't all the classical technique stuff drive you
> nuts?
> After all, this is a classical singing discussion list. Then again, maybe
> you are really and truly one of those people who actually truly do
> appreciate
> and like ALL kinds of music. I know a lot of folks who say that, but few
> who
> really mean it.....Maybe you are the one who does!!

COMMENT: A. I am one of those who likes all types of music... I sang
professionally in the Chicago Symphony Chorus and worked under some of the
most famous conductors around. I also like many other forms of singing and
music, but I moved out of the opera ghetto a long time ago.

B. This is just not a list for classical singing, it's a list about singing.
My issue is that teaching attitudes and techniques have to change to fit
developing aesthetics. The goal of the voice teacher is to help the client
achieve their goals in a healthy manner, not to impose what their taste
should be on them, which is what a lot of teachers do. It's unethical.

> Again, I'm not trying to be ugly (how is that for a southern
> expression?)--I
> am really curious. Without talking to you face to face it is easy to be
> misunderstood, and my intent is simply to understand more where you are
> coming from.

I don't mind. I'm very successful at what I do and confident at it. I think
I make it clear where I'm coming from. Classical vocal technique is only one
way of coordinating the voice and does not serve all music. It also
certainly does not have a stranglehold on vocal health.

Randy Buescher

emusic.com