Vocalist.org archive

From:  Domisosing@a...
Date:  Fri Nov 15, 2002  8:33 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] amplification

Leslie,

A couple observations come to mind after reading through this thread.

1)Many of your observations are opinions based on a partially accurate
understanding of vocal function, but not a complete one. What you hear in
quality and style is your own personal opinion, but trying to justify what your
opinion is with functional facts is questionable if you don't have all the facts
yet. I'd encourage you to keep on exploring and researching and try not to
connect the dots too quickly. We all tend to jump to conclusions prematurely.

2) Voice therapy: it's unfortunate that you ended up with polyps and needed to
go through therapy. However, completely reversing your approach to singing just
swings the pendulum to the other side of the extreme, which can also lead to
re-injury in your case. The major reason most "head-predominant", classically
trained singers don't evidence injuries as quickly is because they rarely are
able to produce enough volume to create fatigue, and because they aren't singing
continually the demands on their voice are not consistent enough that vocal rest
doesn't remedy or resolve many of the issues caused as a result of improper
singing. Meaning, they aren't marketable enough to get a demanding job in their
own genre.(I realize I'm generalizing slightly, in order to make a point about
function)

3)If you have a solid bottom and middle-range, but are afraid to "pull-up" your
middle into head voice....you are likely already in trouble in the lower areas.
When the voice begins in a balanced onset, the ability to reach ascending
pitches is merely a willingness to allow the resonation to shift without
changing the sound that is being produced. There is no need to greatly modify
vowels into the head voice, unless the vowel is changing in the lower areas.
I've noticed that vowel modification is often used as a corrective tool, and is
not needed as much once the larynx stabilizes. (Again, a slight generalization,
not an absolute rule)

There is an excellent teacher in Nashville named Brett Manning. He has
rehabilitated singers from Vanderbilt as well as has a very successfull voice
studio. I'd be happy to send you his phone number if you are interested.

Much success in your continued pursuit of vocal excellence!
Mary Beth Felker
The Voice Project

emusic.com