Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Fri Nov 15, 2002  8:25 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] amplification

In a message dated 11/15/2002 1:37:16 PM Central Standard Time,
leskayc@a... writes:

> Because I was your basic 1970s folk type singer who then went to college and
>
> got into the "show choir" where I was a soprano and the concert choir where
> sang alto. I had no formal voice training and made a choice at a young age
>
> to only sing low notes because my MOTHER, who loves me but knows nothing
> about music, told me that singing high notes would ruin my voice. She lost
>
> her voice in her 30s but the fact that she smoked and screamed a lot never
> seemed to her to be a factor......

I think your problem was that you were never taught how to come out of an
extended chest register without a break so you carried it too high. The
answer doesn't necessarily lie in abandoning chest though, it lies in how to
get out of it at around bflat4. Because of your own problems with chest you
now seem to have an allergic reaction to it in females. Some opera singers
come out of extended chest registers like Dawn Upshaw which is why her
Broadway stuff is so good. Listen to "There are no Trumpets" from I Wish it
So. She's on record as saying she doesn't change a thing technically from
style to style.

There's a wonderful teacher in Nashville (Brett Manning) who could help you
learn how to do this.

Randy Buescher

emusic.com