Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Fri Nov 15, 2002  8:07 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] amplification

In a message dated 11/15/2002 1:48:51 PM Central Standard Time,
leskayc@a... writes:

> >More compression of the air, the vowels narrow instead of going towards
> >schwa.
> >

> would this not tend to "overblow " the cords? I was taught that too much
> sub-glottic pressure was dangerous.

Depends on how it's done, it's not a matter of more airflow being offered up.
That would usually mean the folds have to recruit extrinsic musculature
(usually high larynx) and low larynx muscles for opera singers. It's a
matter of the intrinsic musculature doing it all on it's on, compressing
favorable amounts of air for a longer period creating a different cut in the
sound. If you think the singer's I cited as being good pop singers are not
ever using head, you're wrong ... it's just more compressed.

Randy Buescher

emusic.com