Vocalist.org archive

From:  leskayc@a...
Date:  Fri Nov 15, 2002  6:07 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] amplification

In a message dated 11/15/02 12:00:25 PM Central Standard Time,
Greypins@a... writes:

> ,
>
> i notice that you complain of young singers singing in their speaking
> voice. do you teach only females? if so, are you refering to speaking
> voice as opposed to 'head voice'?

I teach young children. Group settings. All treble voices, of course.

I am talking about the very young--I start with 3 year olds. Many of them,
often very musical children, sing with this exuberant, loud, yelling sound
that is an extension of their speech. And yes, this is opposed to "head
voice."

My older (6-8 year old ) boys will do this also, sometimes in an effort to
sound more manly, and sometimes it is just what they do. They learn to sing
in the "head voice' very easily, and seem to enjoy making the high siren-type
noises that we do to get them there. I have to convince them that at 8 years
old they are supposed to sound more like girls than men, and that it is okay.
This is another thread entirely......

Leslie

emusic.com