Vocalist.org archive

From:  leskayc@a...
Date:  Fri Nov 15, 2002  6:02 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] amplification

In a message dated 11/15/02 11:45:07 AM Central Standard Time,
Greypins@a... writes:

> .
>
> btw, who is kate?

Kate is my 20 year old daughter.

I disagree about the speaking/singing voice thing--there is a difference. I
can sing in my speaking voice and it sounds like yelling. Little children do
this a lot. The singing voice is in a different place. Same pitches,
different timbre. More comfortable, can be done for longer periods of time
without fatigue. However, without us being able to actually hear each other
we don't need to argue this because for all we know we are not understanding
each other exactly.....:-)

One reason I am so opinionated about this is that I had voice surgery 4 years
ago this Sunday, primarily because I sang too low and pushed my chest voice
too high. And the doctor who rehabbed me told me that most voice problems
are seen in sopranos and tenors who push their chest voices. Unbeknownst to
me, I am actually a coloratura soprano, even though I sang for many, many
years believing that I was an alto.....I think lazy has something to do with
this.

It occurs to me that perhaps one reason some of these pop singers can do what
they do without getting into trouble is because, if they sang opera, they
might be classified with a heavier, more dramatic type of voice. Those
voices seem to be less easily damaged than the lighter soprano or tenor.
BUT, judging from the pictures on the wall at the Vanderbilt Voice Center,
many of these people are patients there, which says something. Dr. Cleveland
told me that he didn't see too many classical singers.....

Leslie

emusic.com