Vocalist.org archive

From:  leskayc@a...
Date:  Fri Nov 15, 2002  5:50 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] amplification

In a message dated 11/15/02 11:29:18 AM Central Standard Time,
Greypins@a... writes:

> (i was wondering how you two met.) seriously leslie, perhaps it
> would be useful for you to go into more detail about who you think sucks
> and
> why you think they suck.

Sheesh. I'm so bad I don't always know their names. I know I don't like
Kelly Clarkson's voice because she sounds like she is screaming. There is
absolutely no vibrato (and I don't always like a huge vibrato, either). I
get the sense that her vocal cords are going to spew forth from her mouth at
any moment.

I don't like the Dixie Chicks. Same reason.

I don't like the "new" Stevie Nicks. Her voice sounds like it has been
ravaged by cigarettes and menopause. Or worse. It is too low and gravely.
Again, no ring, no clear tone.

Faith Hill, Shania Twain, they all sound alike to me. I actually do like
some of their songs--words and tune and what not.

It occurs to me that these are mostly country singers, but I live in Alabama
and that is what is huge around here. Country is also not what it used to be
(thank heaven) and has a lot of Pop-ness to it, at least to my ear.

What I don't like about these singers, and I think I went through this
somewhat in another post, is that their sound is "pushed," they sound like
they are in pain. There is no vibrato, which is the by-product of a well
produced sound, and doesn't have to be very wide or even all that noticeable,
but just give a tone warmth. When forced to listen to these singers (which
happens quite a bit around here. Don't think that he would ever let me
listen to Bryn Terfel or Natalie Dessay in his presence....) I have the sense
that the voice is going to crack at any moment. Sounds like yelling. They
remind me of the young children I teach, who always seem to come to me
singing in their speaking voice. Also, the "pushed" quality seems to flatten
the pitch.

Now I realize that, at least I have been told, that in country music the text
is more important than the voice. Perhaps this is also true for pop music.
Maybe that is why some of the artists are so popular, even though they would
likely never be given a solo in your basic church choir.

I DO like Allison Krauss--I think I like her because she sounds like Allison
Krauss and not everyone else. She sings in a higher tessitura than most, at
least what I have heard her do, and while I don't always like some of the
stylistic qualities of this voice, the voice itself is pleasant and unique.

OK, I will shut now. I have probably infuriated quite a few people, but you
asked.

Leslie

emusic.com