Vocalist.org archive

From:  leskayc@a...
Date:  Fri Nov 15, 2002  5:29 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] amplification

In a message dated 11/15/02 1:06:09 AM Central Standard Time, buzzcen@a...
writes:

> If one goes down the classical route they do so under great risk of poverty
>
> and/or then having to make their livelihood in some other manner than they
> wanted to.

BUT THIS IS A SHAME. And just because one has a truly beautiful timbre and
"classical technique" does NOT meant that they cannot sing more contemporary
music. I know , because one of my kids, the 20 year old, who by the way was
gifted with an "operatic" voice and actually likes to sing arias, would
rather sing pop and contemporary music. And she does it beautifully--in a
singing voice, not a yelling voice--and yes she uses chest and blended chest
and I don't always like it, but it is healthy. But she does NOT sound like
your average pop singer. She sounds like Kate. The stars of today all sound
just alike to me and they all seem to be singing in their speaking voices.

I keep thinking that there might be a market for a contemporary singer who
has a beautiful sound, but maybe I am wrong.....

Anecdote: My 15 year old was musing about the American Idol ordeal and made
the comment (about Kelly Clarkson) that there "is no 'pretty' in that voice,
that is has no 'ring' "

I was just thrilled that she recognized this!

Leslie

emusic.com