Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ingo Duckerschein <ingo_d@y...>
Date:  Fri Nov 15, 2002  12:22 pm
Subject:  Re: amplification

Mike wrote:

> hearing an opera in a house that is too big for the singers
> with an orchestra that is twice the size of the original intent,
> playing at today's dynamic levels (loud and louder)...

Agreed. Unfortunately amplification of the singer doesn't always solve
the problem either. I've seen amplified performances where they ended
up amplifying the orchestra as well in order to 'balance' things out
with the amplified singer. Rather than just "loud and louder" it
became an evening of louder and loudest. I really regretted not having
ear plugs that evening because the music was so loud that I stopped
enjoying it.

My other concern with amplification is that I could never get over the
feeling that the sound was coming from the wrong place. This is
probably more of an issue of where the speakers are placed (e.g.,
behind me rather than in front of me), but it was also unsettling to
hear the soprano just as loudly singing upstage as downstage.

Cheers,
Ingo

http://webhosting.yahoo.com

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
20880 Re: amplificationmichael.chesebro   Fri  11/15/2002
20913 Re: amplificationLloyd W. Hanson lwh1 Sat  11/16/2002

emusic.com