Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Nande" <divananny@h...>
Date:  Tue Nov 12, 2002  11:54 pm
Subject:  Insecure note....

Dear list, oh wise ones... ;-)

I'm currently rehearsing for a performance on nov 23rd. I'll be doing
some solos, semi-solos (like real short ones), a trio and some duets.
Real nice, nice people, well, the works.
But.... One of my duets will be 'abschiedslied der zugvögel' by
Mendelssohn (sop/mez). A sweet little thing, if it weren't for one
note....

There's this part which goes on a crescendo: c-c#-g-c#-d. (ie: g
above the treble staff; g being climax of cresc.) The general key is
g minor, so it's a nice jump to D major. And somehow I'm just not
able (yet) to produce a beautiful g.... it's either flat or sharp and
never comfortable. I lose my vibrato and find it hard to continue
after that because I'm so tense.

Which is probably the key here: I tense up.... I've performed this
duet before, once without any problems, once with a nice g# instead
of a g... Not very pretty. How do I ged rid of this tension? This
fear that I'll do the g# thing again? I've worked on the piece with
my teacher, but that was before the slip-up I made. My teacher is
currently quite busy, so I won't be seeing her before the concert
(she's also in it...). And I can't wait!

Any hints, tips, etc. are very welcome!!

Oh, before I forget: I'm a soprano, dramatic coloratura. High notes
are NO problem. Keeping them nice and 'slim' however is somewhat of a
challenge....

Thanx,
Nande

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
20846 Re: Insecure note....Karen Mercedes   Wed  11/13/2002
20851 Re: Insecure note....Nande . panaveko Wed  11/13/2002

emusic.com