Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Colin Reed" <colin-reed@l...>
Date:  Tue Nov 12, 2002  10:45 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] One act Operas?

Karen has already mentioned Dallapiccola "Il Prigioniero". I have seen this
in an English translation "The Prisoner" and would highly recommend it for
two main reasons. Firstly it is an excellent "way in" to the Italian
serialist form, you will find it very different from Schoenberg / Berg.
Most of the music is not strictly serial (although some of Dallapiccola is)
and a strong lyrical sense comes through. Secondly, it is such a great
drama, which is why I think it important to hear it in a language you
understand fully. I don't think that surtitles would do as much justice to
a piece like this.

I saw this performed at the London Colliseum, when the inside was being
renovated. Bits of scaffolding were used as bars in the cells, and
corridors within in the prison. It was amazingly effective. It was
programmed with a staged version of Berio's "Folk Songs" and a "Street
Theatre" style performance of school children to music by Nina Rota from
Fellini's film "La Strada". It was a very different experience (and also
audience) from the average night at the opera.

Colin Reed, tenor
Newark, UK