Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <naomi@n...>
Date:  Tue Nov 12, 2002  3:50 pm
Subject:  re: working as a singer

Karen M. wrote:

>I'd always been under the impression that most agents hire you, more than
>you hire them. At least this has been the case with the pros I know that
>have finally become "agented". It's not just a matter of picking up the
>phone and hiring one. You've got to audition and be accepted by them - and
>their acceptance usually has more to do with what they know they can sell
>in the particular markets they're dealing in than your abilities as a
>singer/performer.

I always thought that a manager is someone that hires the performer
but an agent is someone that the performer hires. In any case, why
not audition for some people and see if they are interested? It's
got to be better than trying to shop your dramatic contralto voice
around at auditions where they want to hear chirpies!

Now might also be a good time, if you haven't done so, to update your
demo CD so that it reflects your capacity to do the Beethoven 9,
Dream of Gerontius, etc. and send it around to regional orchestras &
conductors.

Unsolicited advice aside, I do sympathize with the frustration of
being overqualified for the things one used to do regularly -- but
not yet plugged into opportunities to do the things one is now ready
to do. It isn't that you're overtrained, but rather that you're
having growing pains as you move to a higher level in your
musicmaking. That's how I see it, anyway.

Good luck!

Naomi Gurt Lind

emusic.com