Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Nov 4, 2002  3:18 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Upper Sinus Congestion - Any remedies?

I used to suffer from chronic sinus congestion, particularly after waking
up in the morning.

About a year ago, I started sleeping propped up by a number of pillows, so
I'm essentially in a semi-sitting position when I sleep. I got the idea,
interestingly, during a trip to Williamsburg, VA, during which I learned
that sleeping lying flat, the way most people do now, is a fairly recent
innovation that arose in the 19th Century. Before then, people who could
afford beds and pillows did, in fact, sleep in a semi-sitting position
(upper body at at least a 45 degree angle from the mattress) - in the
belief that sleeping lying flat was extremely unhealthy because it
prevented the sinuses from draining.

Well, I've discovered a great deal of wisdom in that pre-Victorian belief.
I began emulating our Colonial forebears and sleeping pretty much sitting
up - with the result being that not only do I now suffer little or no
sinus congestion regardless of the season, but my lower back problems have
also all but disappeared, because my weight when I sleep has now been
shifted to my buttocks and upper thighs.

I tried earlier putting phone books under the legs of the head of my bed -
this did not provide enough lift to give me the same benefits that
sleeping sitting up has done.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else sleeps this way - or if anyone
who tries it accrues the same benefits that I have.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
I want to know God's thoughts...
the rest are details.
- Albert Einstein

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
20758 Re: Upper Sinus Congestion - Any remedies?norma bowen singerteacher85 Tue  11/5/2002
20761 Re: Upper Sinus Congestion - Any remedies?Mordechai R. Edel   Tue  11/5/2002

emusic.com