Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Michael" <chosdad@y...>
Date:  Fri Nov 1, 2002  2:02 am
Subject:  What is SLS, was Re: [vocalist] I know this was addressed before, but...

Dear Amanda and List:

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., Amanda Kelley <mandasings@y...> wrote:
>But I guess I'm not very familiar with what is called 'speech-level
singing'. What exactly does it mean?
> Anthony Howden <antnee1027@y...> wrote:
> How long did it take you to master that?! With speech-level singing
they say generally btw 3-6 mos is a good window

'speech-level singing' could be some sort of generic term but I think
Anthony Howden is referring specifically to Seth Riggs and
his "approach" - see http://www.sethriggs.com/sls.html.

I don't know the legal issues - whether Riggs has trademarked the
term or not, but Riggs has his approach and he "certifies" certain
teachers as qualified to teach and use his name and the term "speech
level singing" in their advertisements.

Randy Buescher, a frequent poster, would be well-qualified to answer
your question, and he has recently. As I understand it, one of the
key ideas in SLS is to minimize the involvement of muscles that need
not be involved in singing - so the larynx should remain at a
relaxed 'speech level' and not yanked up or shoved down.

For males, I don't think the SLS approach generates too much
controversy. For females, there seem to be some issues as to the
range of usage for chest voice - the discussions on this list have
mentioned that SLS advocates a chest register for women extending
until about A4 (a fifth above middle C).

On 10/22/2002, Randy wrote, (about how sls might differ from
classical training)

"Well, a simple answer is that it focuses much more on laryngeal
events which fine tune the prephonatory tuning of the cords
(therefore calling for much lower airflow) and helps induce the
necessary events that help the singer bridge into the upper registers
including whistle tone. Where you located?

randy buescher

Randy further wrote, a day or so later,

"It's not except for the fact that the chest register is much longer
in women in this approach, the vowel modifications sound purer in a
sense, and a slightly longer closed phase is taught to those wanting
to sing more modern rep. But, in the female voice, the chest register
is much longer and because of that the mix and head voice take on
different cuts... think of Natalie Cole.

Cheers,

Michael

emusic.com