Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Michael" <chosdad@y...>
Date:  Wed Oct 30, 2002  7:31 pm
Subject:  Re: Are bass-baritones considered rare in terms of baritone voice category???

Dear Tako and List:

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., "Tako Oda" <toda@m...> wrote:
> I've also heard people use bass-baritone and basso-cantate
> interchangeably in early/sacred music circles. This usage has
nothing to with the German Fach system, I'm sure, but it seems to be
the preferred voice type for certain kinds of bass arias that really
> move, like "Eilt!" from Bach's St. John's Passion.

FWIW, Tako, the web-site link I gave earlier agrees with you on the
Bass-baritone = Bass Cantante.

Cheers,

Michael

(excerpts from
http://www.su.edu/conservatory/opera/auditioning/MUPP425/Documents/Per
formances/Fach/Bass.htm)

CHARAKTERBAß/BAßBARITON (E to f')
Bass-baritone

A large voice with an extended range and a fine characterizations
ability.

The bass-baritone voice in the German theater is what one thinks of
in America as the Basso Cantante and since he has one of the largest
repertoires of all the voice categories, tends to be on the stage
every night. The voice generally has a more refined, Italian sound
than the Seriöserbaß and lies a bit higher.

emusic.com