Vocalist.org archive

From:  thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
Date:  Wed Oct 30, 2002  12:58 pm
Subject:  Re: Problem from about 3 months I can't still figure out......

yo10x,

While diagnosing vocal skills without hearing you is impossible,
there are some suggestions I might offer to address the concerns you
mention. Out-of-tune singing is usually the result of one of two things:
lack of ear/voice coordination or undeveloped vocal technique. Since the
class is addressing the latter, I would suggest you do as much listening
to professional musicians as you can. Who are your favorite singers,
pianists, violinists, conductors? Also, are piano lessons available to you?
Class piano would serve your needs at the time. Also I would suggest as a
corollary to your vocal development, make a practice of reading something
challenging every day, even if only for a few minutes: this will add to
your overall development as a singer and student. There is much more to
being a singer than the voice itself and developing one skill enhances
another.

Mark

"Sing on the interest, not on the principal" - Florence Page Kimball, to
her student Leontyne Price
"The voice is not a fist." - Fritz Wunderlich
"I sing with a slim voice." - Birgit Nilsson

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., "yo10x" <yo10x@y...> wrote:

> Hi! I starting singing about 3 months ago and where i am studying
> there is course of interpretation where you are supposed to go the
> minute you enter the singing school but because of my "lack of
> skills" I had to go first to special classes where they made me sang
> alone with one teacher because i couldn't sing well..
>
> Well this problem happens to me because I have the simple problem of
> not knowing how to sing good and even when many people think is as
> simple as just making sound come out f your mouth i've realized it's
> not, well in case you are wondering sometimes I CAN sing but
> sometimes im out of tune, etc...
>
> Well my question is if someone can tell me like what do i have to do
> for singing well like where do i have to "put my voice" because i
> have found many places where to do this i don't know which one is the
> right one.........

emusic.com