Vocalist.org archive

From:  kriswrite@a...
Date:  Fri Oct 25, 2002  1:34 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Digest Number 1311

In a message dated 10/25/2002 12:45:55 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com writes:

> The first cut is visual, by the way. If they
> don't like your looks that's it.

Sadly, this is true for most professional gigs--especially in pop music and
Broadway or Broadway-style shows. I particularly recall vast cattle calls for
the Broadway musicals. They'd have the women line up and say "You, you, you,
and you stay. The rest of you are excused." Maddening to be "excused" on the
basis of looks! Of course, then I could prattle on about the absurd lotteries
held in NYC for summerstock. Imagine, a lottery to see who'd have the
privilege of auditioning!

No wonder so much of what finally makes it to mass-marketing is so mediocre!

emusic.com