Vocalist.org archive

From:  "John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
Date:  Tue Oct 22, 2002  9:54 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] singer with ulcerative colitis

Mesalamine is 5'-N-aminosalicylic acid; aspirin is acetylsalicylic acid.
Without belaboring the chemistry, only acetylated salicylates affect
platelets.

Simpler answer - it does not cause bleeding or ulcers. In my experience
it is generally safe, although when taking it, you should be checked by
your doctor regularly (frequency depends on your general health, the
severity of your IBD, and so on.)

By itself, there should be no effect on your singing.

John

John Messmer, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Family and Community Medicine
Penn State Hershey Medical Center

I have lots
> of concerns about medications. The thing I'm on now,
> mesalamine, is an ASA
> compound. Does this mean it's got the same properties and dangers as
> aspirin, Advil, and other NSAIDs?... Anyway if any of the MDs on the
list can answer this I'd
> appreciate it,

emusic.com