Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Wed Oct 23, 2002  9:27 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Falsetto

Dear Randy:

As you know, I consider female chest voice to be major part of the
middle voice. It is just a matter of the degree of use and at what
pitches. German classical singing removes most of the chest voice
early in the pitch ascent; Italians like to have the chest voice
remain a part of the mix much higher into the middle voice, etc.
Excesses in either direction will, of course, pose possible major
difficulties to the voice if used consistently over time.

It is my opinion that in America we have little consensus about this
mix in classical singing teaching because we represent the attitudes
of all of the European countries and that has been the case since the
close of WW 2 when many of Europe's voice teachers moved to the US.
Gradually we may come to our own preferences on this issue.

Without a doubt, all forms of popular singing use chest voice as a
primary vocal quality. The fact that most popular singing has moved
downward in pitch during the last 35 years attests to this but a
lower pitch center has always been a part of popular singing. This
allows the chest voice to be used throughout a song if necessary or
desired. It is a pattern of technique that does not serve as well in
opera or classical singing because the constant crossing of the upper
passaggio in this literature.

A recent example of a singer who has gotten into major difficulty
with the use of ann unregulated chest voice at too high a pitch is
the recent winner of the Idol contest. It was just announced this
week that Ms. Clark's first CD is being delayed because of vocal
problems caused "by the demands of her winning the contest". But
when I hear her sing I am in pain on all the high notes.

She needs to see you, Randy!

HM/A=810373/R=0/*http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info?.refer=blrecs>

--
Lloyd W. Hanson