Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dre de Man <dredeman@y...>
Date:  Thu Jun 1, 2000  8:59 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Bach, Baroque and Countertenors - and castrati

--- Tako Oda <toda@m...> wrote:
> It is so strange,
> though - these misconceptions seem confined
> primarily to Western
> classical music! Heavy metal lead singers are as
> macho as they come, yet
> they wear eyeliner and sing countertenor. I don't
> believe there is
> anything inherent to countertenoring that confuses
> people about gender -
> Western "polite" society has just come up with some
> arbitrary standards
> for masculinity and femininity.
Dear Tako and list,
with the confusion about gender I mean something very
simple: close your eyes and listen to a countertenor
that probably is using the techniques Loyd Hanson
described, head voice extension, at least who is not
using falsetto: you will hear a woman, then open your
eyes and you will see a man: that is confusing, isn't
it?
I don't think this has anything to do with western
standards or values.
I still don't have much time, but about the pppp adn
ffff: of course this is not written but we know that
the castrati did whatever they wanted, to demonstrate
their virtuosity, so in their candenza's (as far as
you cannot say that all their singing was one big
cadenza) they did these kind of things, at least that
is what I've read.
Best greetings,
Dre.