Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Colin Reed" <colin-reed@l...>
Date:  Mon Oct 21, 2002  6:09 pm
Subject:  Pears, Britten, Englishness etc.

Hmm, rousing choral renditions to do with fishermen always remind me more of
South West (ie May Day in Padstow) than the bleaker image of the eastern
coastline that Britten brings. This may be splitting hairs to a non-native
(or even many natives :-)

Pears is always an interesting point. I'm not sure that his vocal style per
se was what Britten was attracted to, more his musicality (although I admit
that the one is the vehicle for the other.) Britten made a quote in a 1967
interview (I can't remember the exact wording, but I have some of it on
video somewhere). Something along the lines of "what is special about a
singer is that their instrument is part of them, and comes directly and
honestly from them". Later he also says "I loathe what is usually referred
to as a 'beautiful voice'. It's like an over ripe peach that has nothing to
say." I think therefore that Britten was probably more interested in what
Pears had to say than his particular vocal technique. Just look at other
singers who Britten championed (although not to the extent of Pears.
Personal relationships did play a part here, obviously). Robert Tear was
helped early in his career by Britten. Tear is Welsh (note your earlier
comments), and whilst still very individual and perhaps flawed, certainly
not the same manner of voice as Pears. Also Dietrich Fischer Dieskau.
Again, very different in vocal production, but maybe with a similar
musicality.

I am not going to argue that Pears had some sort of ideal voice, far from
it. My own vocal production, as an English tenor, is very differently made
up. However, I love singing the music written for Pears, and do not feel
hampered, or weighed down by Nationalistic millstones because of it. There
is a lot more to Britten than Pears. One could say the same about the
reverse relationship too.

Colin

Colin Reed, tenor
Newark, UK