Vocalist.org archive

From:  "vintageconnection" <kriswrite@a...>
Date:  Mon Oct 21, 2002  2:12 pm
Subject:  Re: Falsettofrom Lloyd W. Hanson DMA to Mary Beth.....

This is not the traditional definition of "falsetto," which is a man
singing in a woman's range. It also refers to a sound that cannot be
connected to the chest voice...I have not heard a woman sing in a
falsetto like voice who could not connect it to the chest voice. Is
there such a thing?

Kristina

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., Dean FH Macy <deanmacy@a...> wrote:
> [...]
> membranes and achieves only partial oscillation.
>
> It is possible for any voice to create this quality by simply
increasing
> the breath flow past the vocal folds. The difference between men
and
> women in achieving this falsetto voice is that
> many men, especially the lower voices, can produce ONLY this voice
in
> their upper ranges.
> This is because only in their upper extremes are the vocal folds
> sufficiently lengthened so that they can achieve the partial
closure of
> long vocal folds necessary for falsetto voice.
>
> Confusion exists when male voices are able to phonate in head voice
into
> the highest parts of their ranges and these ranges coincide with
the
> lower female ranges, and when they can do
> this with a quality that is much richer than falsetto. In reality
these
> singers are capable of, or have learned to extend their head voice
> configuration. Vocal folds are fully adducted,
> the vocal ligament sustains the longitudinal tension of the vocal
folds,
> and the mucosal membrane is the primary oscillatory portion of the
vocal
> folds. Because the resultant sound in some ways resembles the
quality of
> falsetto and because the pitch of such phonations is above the
normal
> range a conclusion is made that the singer is using falsetto voice.
>
> Such is not the case.
>
> Many counter-tenors are capable of producing this extension of the
head
> voiceconfiguration. Others achieve a similar quality through the
use of
> the falsetto configuration. The difference is in the functional
> operation of the vocal folds themselves. As less adducted vocal
folds
> phonated with increased breath emission (falsetto voice) are
gradually
> completely adducted, the breath emission is reduced because the
vocal
> folds become more efficient in obtaining complete closure and
developing
> greater sub-glottal breath pressure. Once this condition is
achieved,
> the singer has migrated from falsetto into true head voice. Many
singers
> can teach themselves to do this, especially lyric tenors.
>
> Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
> Professor of Voice, Vocal Pedagogy
> Northern Arizona University
> Flagstaff, AZ 86004"
>
> And my 2 cents. I have worked with little kids for a long, long
time
> and most of the dollar musical words after all this time have been
> purged from my system. Don't condemn a teacher because of his lack

artistid=289
> "Success does not come with the gifts from God.
> Success comes from the talents you develop from
> the gifts He gives you." (Riker-Next Generation)

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
20605 Re: FalsettoErica Zweig peekskillny1588 Mon  10/21/2002
20606 Re: FalsettoGreypins@a... greypins Mon  10/21/2002
20619 Re: FalsettoErica Zweig peekskillny1588 Mon  10/21/2002
20607 Re: Falsettobuzzcen@a... buzzcen2000 Mon  10/21/2002
20620 Re: FalsettoErica Zweig peekskillny1588 Mon  10/21/2002
20622 Re: FalsettoGreypins@a... greypins Mon  10/21/2002
20626 Re: FalsettoErica Zweig peekskillny1588 Mon  10/21/2002
20624 Re: Falsettobuzzcen@a... buzzcen2000 Mon  10/21/2002
20627 Re: FalsettoErica Zweig peekskillny1588 Mon  10/21/2002

emusic.com