Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Sun Oct 20, 2002  12:27 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Help with nasally singing

vintageconnection wrote:

When I work with her during lessons, after about
> 10 - 20 minutes she gets her placement correct and this glorious
> sound escapes her throat... But every time she comes to the next
> lesson, she's back at her nasally singing. It's not that she doesn't
> practice at home; she's actually a very dedicated student and
> religiously works on the techniques and "tricks" I've given her. But
> for some reason, it isn't clicking for her.

I don't know anything about correcting nasally singing - but
I do know about making and not making vocal progress with
plenty of difficult issues in my own singing. It sounds to
me from what you've written is that it is very likely the
way your student practices at home is reinforcing the wrong
vocal habits rather than the right vocal habits. Of course,
this is not what your student intends, or even thinks she's
doing. But I know from my own lack of progress in the past
on some issues that this is exactly what I was doing.

So perhaps you can work on the issue from having your
student show you how she practices at home, and don't
correct anything, but listen and watch what she's doing that
may be reinforcing wrong things. Perhaps, (I know this is
heresy to some) she needs to practice less but better. For
a very short period of time while she's got the right
coordination, but then stop and do something different
non-vocal (like memorizing music without singing, working on
vowels and consonants, or whatever). Or perhaps she needs
to get more in touch with the way the right way feels in her
body, so she can recognize on her own when it's not working,
and stop if she can't fix it herself.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...